Our Kitchen & House Volunteers support the delivery of our varied programmes and events by preparing and caring for the spaces being used as well as feeding and serving our guests while they are with us. This role includes a mixture of housekeeping duties such as making beds, sweeping floors, cleaning showers & toilets and doing laundry as well as assisting in the kitchen by preparing breakfast, chopping vegetables, washing-up, cleaning the kitchen and dining areas and supporting the chefs to deliver meals to our guests.
Who Is It For?
This role is ideally suited for those who want a small amount of interaction with our guests, but who are mostly comfortable being in the background. The work can be hard-going, so stamina, strength and agility are important, as are attention to detail and the ability to work well as part of a team.
The Kitchen & House Team is a small, dedicated and passionate team who have formed strong friendships. They love to work hard, to be efficient and to do everything to the best of their ability, taking pride in their work. They also love singing in the kitchen, catching up over a cup of tea or hanging out by the lake in the summer.
Average Shift Pattern
The role requires flexibility to volunteer between 20 and 36 hours a week, depending on the schedule of programmes and events happening at Embercombe.
What We Offer
- Basic accommodation in an off-grid caravan / space to park your own live-in vehicle
- Use of our communal volunteer areas including kitchen, lounge, showers and laundry facilities
- Use of our beautiful, traditionally built, Linhay lounge & kitchen with vaulted ceiling and wood-burner (when not in use for programmes or venue hires)
- Meals from our plant-based, organic kitchen (during our catered programmes only)
- A modest monthly stipend to cover additional food and travel expenses
- The opportunity to live on our beautiful, wild land and to be a part of a small but passionate team
- Discounted place on a week-long Embercombe programme (for those who have volunteered a minimum of 6 months)
- Free place on a week-long Embercombe programmes (for those who have volunteered for 12 months)